Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dr's? Who Needs A Dr?

Not me when it comes to Miss L! Well, that is when it comes to Miss L's pooping problems I talked about earlier.

We had talked to the dr about her possibly being lactose intolerant  I also new that she was having issues with fruits. We stopped all foods other than rice cereal and only gave her soy formula. Unfortunately, this did not help. She continued to have loose diapers, and her bottom still blistered and bled. So I decided to take things into my own hands.

I get really sick of going up to the dr for everything. Granted, most things need to be brought to the dr's attention, but I figured we had been there enough for this certain issue and nothing was getting better. My friend K and I brainstormed everything we could think of that could be causing Miss L to have digestive issues. Since I had already changed everything in her diet except the rice cereal, we thought that was the next thing to do. I bought some oatmeal cereal, and low and behold, no diarrhea!

Picture edited by me :)

Miss L has an allergy to her rice cereal. I had never heard of this but I knew that Google had. This was the best article I found in my quick rice cereal allergy search. What I gathered was that there is a protein in the rice that causes the reaction. I had to look more into what FPIES was. I found that one of the symptoms is diarrhea, and that Miss L had!I don't believe she had full on FPIES since she did not require ER care or an IV, and she didn't projectile vomit everywhere. I do feel certain that she has an intolerance to that certain rice protein though.

We have Miss L's 9 month (already?!) checkup next week, so I am going to talk to Dr S more about this rice cereal intolerance. I am very happy that she has been able to get back to eating, and even more foods than before, and has not had any diarrhea since starting the oatmeal cereal.

Does your LO have an odd allergy or intolerance to something? Where you able to use rice cereal or did you use a different kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment