Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Eating and Pooping

For the last couple of days, right after Miss L eats, she poops. Doesn't sound like such a bad thing does it?! It probably wouldn't be either, except that her food is passing so quickly through her that it looks EXACTLY like it did going in. I could probably put it in a container and you would never know. Also, it is passing so quickly that her stomach acid is eating her bottom.

I have never seen a bottom so sore. The second she poops she screams bloody murder. Her butt is beat red, blistered up, and bleeds. It also now is yeasty, so Dr S gave her a cream medicine to rub on it 3x a day.

We have actually been to the Dr for the last 2 days. Yesterday was becuase of the fact that within 30 minutes of eating she poops and has a very sore rump. He said to try soy formula for a while to see if maybe she is lactose intollerant. We tried that. We even stopped all veggies and gave her just rice cereal. Today her "poop" was more like water. And multiple of these diapers. I had to take her back up and he said to stop the soy also and just give her pedialyte. We also had to collect a stool sample and take it to the lab to make sure she doesn't have some kind of bug.

Do you know how hard it is to collect a stool sample on baby girl? Dr S suggested putting plastic wrap in her diaper, but that creates a mess. The lab gave me these little baggies that you attach to their bums to catch it, which is a great idea, if they are a boy. You can't have urine contaminate the poo, and it is really hard to catch just poo when you have a baby girl. Also, how do you get your baby to sit with a baggy taped to their rump? I got lucky tonight and caught her RIGHT after she pooped and before she peed. I know this for a fact because as soon as I collected the poop, and had no diaper near her, she peed.

They also want you to collect 3 vials tilled to a certain line. Ha! She has been pooping all day. There really isn't much left in her. I, unfortunately, only got 1 vial 1/2 way filled to the line. I am sure it isn't going to be enough and I am going to have to try to do it again. *sigh*

Now we are just waiting to hear back from the lab. We have to do the pedialyte for 12-18 hours, then start back on the soy formula. If everything is good on the soy, we can try regular formula again in a few days to see if that is what is actually causing this.

I feel bad that her bottom is so sore. And I feel bad that I don't know what is causing her upset tummy. I really hope that lab comes back with something so we can get this figured out.

Is your baby lactose intollerant?

No comments:

Post a Comment