Tuesday, November 20, 2012

9 Months

It is so hard to believe that Miss L has been "out" as long as she was "in"! I swear this time has gone way faster!

To celebrate her big milestone birthday, we got her ears pierced! Please don't criticize. We wanted to do it while she is a baby for a few reasons. One, she won't remember. Two, she won't mess with them. Three, they are less likely to get infected because of the lack of hair products and I am in control of making sure they get cleaned regularly. It wasn't a super easy thing to do though. I almost had a panic attack and thought about leaving. I didn't want to see her cry or hurt at all, and it killed me knowing I was doing it. But, we did it! She looks so darling with her little diamond studs! She cried some, but they don't seem to bother her at all anymore. She hasn't touched them once and she was more interested in the bottle of cleaning solution than me cleaning them. They aren't red or anything either, so that is good. She had her 9 month check up today too, and her dr looked at them and said they looked good. That made me feel better. :)

First ear (it killed me holding her head still!)

Second ear (through the tears :( )

Trying to distract her with a sucker

Pretty little earrings!

Like I said, we had Miss L's 9 month check up today. Everything went really well, which was so nice. She is just shy of being in the 25th percentile for length, and is in the 25th percentile for weight. She got her iron levels checked, and didn't make a peep when they poked her. She is a tough cookie now after her ears! I talked to Dr S about her rice cereal and my thoughts on a rice allergy. He said that is possible, and it doesn't mean she will be allergic forever. He also said there aren't any other foods to be cautious of, other than rice based ones of course :). I declined the flu vaccine at this visit, and will not be vaccinating either Pumpkin or Miss L for it. I feel very strongly about NOT getting the flu shot, so my family will steer clear and advise everyone else to do to the same.

She is to get her chicken pox vaccine and TB test done at 1 year. I will decline the chicken pox one for sure, and am questioning about decline TB also... I will let you know when I decide and why!

Other than that, there really wasn't much exciting at her appt. To be honest, its nice to have boring appts :)

Did you get your LO's ears pierced young? Did/do you decline any shots/vaccines/tests?

2 comments:

  1. Was searching for my GF's blog and came across yours. Started reading and came to your post about having your dd's ears pierced. Mine were done as an infant and like you I was nervous too. However, I feel all little girls want their ears pierced so doing it early is a rite of passage best done as soon after birth as possible. Your dd looks totally adorable and will look precious in her upcoming holiday pictures with them. I did our dd at about the same age.

    This was a perfect age to pierce her ears! You were a smart mommy for doing it. Babies and little girls with little pierced ears celebrates their femininity and femaleness.

    Our ped encouraged me doing it when mommy could care for them. Also, she gave me some tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced. Would be happy to share by e-mail with any moms wanting more info.

    Angie

    Angietune@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is so nice to hear positive feedback on something like this because it seems everyone only has bad things to say!

      Her Dr actually used to pierce ears in his office, which made me feel even better that its something a medical professional would do. When I first brought up the idea to him, he told me to wait until about 6 months just in case of infections and allergic reactions.

      I think this really is the perfect age. And she looks so girly now, instead of a mini-me of her daddy in pink!

      Delete