Friday, May 27, 2011

IUI


My IUI was scheduled for 2:00 in the afternoon. M’s men had to be at the lab 1 hour prior to be washed and prepped. In order to get them there at that time, I had to meet M on lunch, and drive the back roads! It felt like we were in high school again (minus the collection cup)!

Once I got what I needed, I left M and headed up to the lab. It has definitely gotten easier handing over a cup full of sperm! She said I could either wait, or just come back in about an hour to pick them up, which is what I did. Luckily, Dr K’s office is close to the lab, so once I got M’s men back, I was able to get from the lab to her office in 5 minutes.

She was in the middle of seeing a patient, so she told me to put the syringe containing M’s sperm in my boobs too keep them warm. I sat out in the waiting room, the top of the syringe sticking out of cleavage, and talked with the other lady waiting. It was a little awkward, but you gotta do what you gotta do! Once Dr K was ready, I went back into a room, stripped my bottoms down, and propped my rump up.

They use a catheter to get the sperm high into your uterus up by your tubes. This was quite painful for me because she couldn’t get the catheter through my cervix. She poked and prodded and finally was able to slide it up. Then she hooked the syringe holding all of M’s men (which were actually really good this time, high numbers!) to the end of it, and slowly (as to not cause cramping which can force the sperm back out) emptied the syringe into me. It only took about 20 minutes for her to do the whole procedure, but then I had to lay there for 20 more.

With my butt in the air, I laid back and relaxed. I had made a playlist on my iPod to listen to while I had to wait, which I would recommend to anyone doing this, it really helps pass the time. Once 20 minutes was up, I got dressed, said goodbye and went on my way. The TWW was on!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget...extra sperm collection cups make great bug catchers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I did forget! I'm laughing out loud right now!

    ReplyDelete