Friday, May 13, 2011

A Is For Ass

One of the downfalls of living in a small town is the lack of resources. So when Dr K told us that M needed to talk to an urologist, she could only give us 2 names. Dr M (female) or Dr A (male). Because of the nature of this visit, M told me that he would be more comfortable with a male dr, so I called up the office and made an appt with Dr A.

We arrived a few minutes early for the appt, and filled out our paper work. Then we sat and waited, and waited, and waited. We actually contemplated getting up and leaving after about 45 minutes of waiting, but decided against it since we really did want to know what was going on. FINALLY the nurse got us and took us back to a room, where we waited some more (imagine that). After 20 minutes more of waiting, we were sick of it and got up to leave. As I opened the door to walk out, Dr A was just opening it to come in. Since we were still there, and he was now there, we sat back down and talked to him.

The fact that we waited over an hour after our scheduled appt time should have been our first clue to leave. But, like I said, our options are limited, so we listened to what this dr had to say. Well, he was an ass. He told us that M’s numbers were low, but not so horribly low that we couldn’t get pregnant, just lower than what they like to see. He also told us that we just need to try longer and harder and that normally people try for at least a year before seeking medical help. I tried to explain to him that given the circumstances, my dr thought it necessary to start in with medical help right away because of my issues. He again told me that we need to try longer and harder.

Source

First of all, I don’t care what he thinks! I know he is a dr, but he does not know everything, especially given the fact that he has no idea what is going on, or not going on, in my body. Secondly, we did not come to him to ask for his opinion of if we should just try longer and “harder” (what does that mean anyways?), we came to figure out why M’s SA came back low. And third, he was just an ass. It was like he thought he was someone really special and knew everything about everything and everyone. Even they way he talked pissed me off. And he’s a dr, you think he could afford to fix his teeth. *sorry for the small rant*

He did explain that M’s problems could be caused by a number of things (of which he would not tell me), and offered to do a quick physical. I went and waited (some more) in the waiting room while he examined M. When they were done, M came out and told me that Dr Ass felt something by his testicles. Actually, M said “one nut is smaller then the other and there is something in there”. Because of the symptoms that M displayed and told to Dr Ass, Dr Ass thought is was an enlarging of the veins, called a varicocele. To know for sure though, they would have to do an US. So, unfortunately, we would have to come back to Dr Ass.

He sent a cup to do another SA, and had M schedule for an US.

4 comments:

  1. I am surprised he didn't tell you to "relax and have a glass of wine!" Isn't that the standard answer people give? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No joke! I probably would have hit him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "you'd think he could afford to fix his teeth" LOL! Bad teeth are one of my biggest pet peeves :) I had a doctor tell me to "just relax and keep trying" too....that's when I knew it was time to move on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, they were so bad!!! I couldn't stop staring! Dr's should really know not to say those things!

    ReplyDelete