Monday, May 16, 2011

How Do They Do It?!?!


M submitted another sample to the lab, and waited for his ultrasound date to come up. I have to admit, it was kinda nice not worrying for a month about when we needed to DTD, the agony over the TWW (two week wait), and not being surprised by the big P (period). Although, I would have much rather been trying, we enjoyed relaxing for a bit.

I was anxious to get M’s results back from his second SA, so I called Dr Ass’s office to hear them, but they wouldn’t tell me. I was pissed. Those are my husband’s men! I have a right to know!!!! They told me that I could go to the hospital and request a copy from the records department, or wait until his appt. Well, I wasn’t going to do either of those. For one, I have no idea where the records department is, and for two, I couldn’t wait another week for his appt! So, I called my dr and she got a hold of the report and called me back with the results (I love this lady!). They were better then last time *yay*, but still not that great *boo*. Even though it wasn’t exactly what we wanted to hear, it was nice to know them.

M went in for his US, but didn’t let me come. I was bummed because I really couldn’t figure out how they do an US on someone’s balls. I wanted to compare it to my US. Do they make them lay down or just sit there? Do they hold them in their hands, or just let them flop on the bed? I was so curious, but I understood where M was coming from, just as long as he could give me a very good description when he was done. After they did the US, they took him back to a room to talk to Dr Ass, and I got to meet him. I prodded and pried for a description, but, being the man he is, he couldn’t offer me a detailed enough one. (If you have ever seen this type of US go down, or have a good description of it, let me know cuz I’m still curious!!!!)

Source

Dr Ass came in and talked to us about the US results. It was as he thought, a varicocele. This news was somewhat relieving because that meant that it was fixable, and not life, or permanently sperm, threatening. But, the bummer was that there isn’t a for sure link between infertility in men and varicoceles. It’s believed that the varicocele causes the balls to get too warm and ruins the sperm, but it can’t be proven that it is 100% of what happens. They find that by fixing the varicocele, it only helps some men up their sperm count, and not a drastic increase. And the surgery is scary! They cut open the ball sack, separate the good veins and tubes, and cut out the varicocele. M would be out for about a week recovering.

This option isn’t a complete no, but it is definitely a not right now. We were thinking maybe more towards winter. There were a couple things that helped us decide this.

1) M doesn’t have a week to miss from work right now, so it would be without pay (AAAHHH!!!). And winter is slower for him.
2) It isn’t a guarantee that this will fix his sperm count, only a maybe. We don’t want to spend tons of money on an “eh, it might help, but we don’t really know”.
3) Its scary! What if they slipped up and cut something they weren’t supposed to?! I know that they are professionals, but still, if they did mess up or something else happened, it could cause us way more problems!

The dr did say that his numbers were a little better then last time, and that they were actually hovering around “average” now, just on the low-low side, so that was somewhat encouraging. We felt pretty good about that news, and our decision, and left Dr Ass for the time being.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a picture, but it looked kind of odd, so I'm not sure that is how it is done! I'm so curious though!!!!

    ReplyDelete