Thursday, May 24, 2012

3rd Time's A Charm

I ended up in the ER last night due to mastitis. I was shaking uncontrollably, had diarrhea and cotton mouth so bad, but when I would drink I felt like I was going to throw up, and the pain was unbelievable I was crying. I rated it at an 8 at the ER. It hurt in my breast mostly, but like radiated out too.

Because of my allergies, I had to get hooked up to an antibiotic IV. I also had to get saline. The nurse tried to put the IV in the crook of my elbow but my vein rolled. Next she tried my hand and exploded that vein. So, she went and got another nurse. I was in tears at this point and just wanted to go home, but I let them poke me one more time, in the forearm of my opposite arm. Luckily that one worked. I was there for about 1 1/2 hrs. It was amazing how much better I felt when I left! My boob still is killing me, but its bearable, and there is a huge red spot on it from the infection that freaked M out! I just hope it goes away quickly cuz even feeling better doesn't feel good.

This is the 3rd time I have gotten mastitis. The first time, I was miserable at home for a couple days, but it went away. The second time I got meds from Dr K. This time I was in the ER. Next time.... ? I don't even want to imagine! I think this should be a hint to stop breastfeeding. I have cut Miss L down a lot already, but maybe its time to give up completely. The best way to get rid of mastitis is to nurse, but maybe once its gone, I will have to stop. 3 times is enough for me!

Would you stop BF is you had gotten mastitis 3 times? Have you gotten mastitis 3 times?!

No comments:

Post a Comment