Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mastitis Misery

I have mastitis, and it is MISERABLE. I woke up feeling fine, but by the afternoon it was all I could do to even stand up. My body hurt so frickin' bad, I had the chills like crazy, and I felt like I was going to throw up. And the ache in my boob, unbelievable.

Going to bed the first night was almost impossible. I couldn't get in a position that was comfortable and didn't make my boob throb. The pain woke me up multiple times, and if the pain from that didn't do it, the pain from my body aches did. Needless to say I called Dr K ASAP the next day! She called down a prescription for me and I started it right away.

I also did some home remedies that may have helped. Every time I breastfed or pumped I rubbed the area. This seemed to relieve some of the pain temporarily, but eventually my whole boob started to hurt from me rubbing so much! I also applied heat and that felt amazing. I don't know if it actually helped it to get any better but the relief was so worth it.

Luckily the meds are kickin in and I am feeling better. Still not great, but better. The odd thing though, my milk production on that side is way low now. I don't know if that is a usual side effect, or maybe something completely unrelated. Whatever it is, I hope it goes away soon and my milk returns to normal because I need all the milk I can get!

Have you ever had mastitis? What did you find most helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment