Monday, January 23, 2012

Car Seats

Yes, seats, as in 2! My mom and I went to Target this weekend, and (spent way to much money) got both Pumpkin and Peanut car seats! Peanut's car seat is my baby shower gift from my mom, but we got it because it was on sale, and the last one there. Couldn't risk passing that up. We got Pumpkin's because he really needs the next size up, and it was on sale too, and was also the last one. Once again, couldn't pass that up!

I had done quite a bit of research on car seats for Peanut. Of course, every car seat is going to make it seem like it is the best one out there, and while there are probably better car seats than others, they all have to pass safety tests and be approved, so therefore, they are all going to be pretty safe. In my mind anyways :)

So in my quest for the perfect car seat, for me, I had a few requirements:

  1. Had to be a car seat that had a base and I could easily get it in and out of the car
  2. Weight. I'm not super strong, and when you add the baby's weight in with a 15 lb car seat, that's a lot
  3. Easy to adjust. Pumpkin's infant car seat was a pain in the A to adjust when he grew. 
  4. Soft. Granted the more "plastic-y" type materials are easier to clean off, I wanted a car seat that was soft to the touch. Yes you can add things inside to make the baby comfortable and have soft things around then, but in the middle of summer, that just means extra heat. No thanks.
  5. Price. I can't afford an expensive car seat, and I didn't expect anyone to buy me one either. 

Luckily, I found the car seat that met all my requirements right away. Its the Baby Trend Flex-Loc Infant Car Seat in Grey Mist. And I am in love! Its grey, so a nice neutral color, soft fabric, weighs in at just under 9.5 lbs, easily connects and disconnects to the base, the adjusting harness only takes one hand, so its super easy, and I just so happen to have the Baby Trend jogging stroller, so this car seat will easily hook in, therefor I don't have to buy another stroller! Have I said I am in love? Here is a picture of the beauty:

Source

I am also very in love with Pumpkin's new "car seat". I guess it really is more of a booster, but I am not ready to think of it that way yet! He is going to be 4 in just a couple weeks, so he is ready to move up in car seats, and his old one is getting a little too small for him. I really am not comfortable with putting him in regular booster though. I don't like that they don't have any back, neck, or head support. I also don't like that they don't keep the seat belt in the right position on your child. They just don't seem safe to me for my little boy. But, just like with Peanut's car seat, I lucked out and found the perfect booster for Pumpkin!

It's the Graco Highback Turbobooster - Baldwin. It's made for children 30-100 lbs (Pumpkin is about 36 lbs), has the back support, head support (also side impact tested), and has the guide for the seat belt so that it goes across your child's chest in the right place, and stays there. This booster is perfect. It makes me feel so much better about moving Pumpkin up in car seats, I feel comfortable that he will be safe in it and that it gives the extra support that I find is still necessary. It also easily adjusts as your child grows. You just pull up on this little handle on top as your child gets taller, and it actually breaks down to a regular booster for if you are ever ready to when you are ready to move to that next step. It was about double to price then a regular booster, but so worth it to me. Check out this amazing-ness!

Source

I never thought I would be so excited about car seats, but I really am in love with these 2! They are the perfect fit for what I was looking for, and were very reasonable in price. I really couldn't be happier with any other car seats.

Did you luck out and find the perfect car seat? What were your requirements in find that perfect car seat?


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's amazing! I have NEVER seen a car seat / booster seat like that before. Definitely worth the double price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving it! And so is Pumpkin, which is the best!

    ReplyDelete