Friday, November 25, 2011

I Swear I'm Not 80

I think Peanut must be sitting on a nerve, or vein, or something she shouldn't be on because the bottom of my legs keep falling asleep. I can be sitting, or standing, or laying in bed, and within a few minutes, numb. I don't seem to have any issues with getting enough blood to my nose though since I have been waking up every morning with bloody noses.

I called Dr K, and talked to her nurse A (who is my favorite nurse ever by the way) and she suggested "support hose". I really don't like that name, it makes me sound like I am 80, so we are going with the much cooler name of compression socks.

Our local medical equipment place has the best selection of compression socks around, so I headed there with my prescription for a pair. The lady was really nice, and even called them compression socks for me! She got me fitted with a correct pair, gave me instructions as to when to wear them (all day, but not to bed), and sent me on my way.

Source

Yep, that's them. Nothing fancy or special, just look like a pair of plain ol' knee high socks. The difference though? They are super tight around the ankle. Its hard enough lately to put on socks, but these puppies are SO tight that its a real struggle. Do they make something to help you pull your socks up? Anyways, they are real tight around the ankle, then kind of taper wider as they move up, almost making a cone shape.

The lady explained it to me as the pressure of them is what makes your blood keep flowing. I was still skeptical though because they do look like my other knee highs, despite the fact that they are so tight. I put them on when I got home though and guess what? My legs didn't fall asleep! All day I had circulation! It was amazing!!!! They are comfortable too, and I don't notice how tight they are around the ankle.

I only bought one pair to try first. So yes, I know its gross, but I wear the same pair of socks every day. To make myself feel better about this, I always put a pair of ankle socks over the top, so the outside doesn't get dirty. Luckily it is winter here, so my feet don't get hot and sweaty in them either. You can wash them normal, but have to line dry. I think I will have to go invest in another pair though to be able to switch back and forth since I do have a little over 3 months to go.

It may seem like I am 80, but man, support hose, I mean compression socks, are the way to go if you need a little help getting your blood circulating correctly. Oh, and another bonus? I don't know if this really is related or not, but my bloody noses have stopped! Yay for support compression socks!

Have you had to purchase anything during your pregnancy that you never thought you would?

4 comments:

  1. New follower from hellobee! I'm not pregnant yet, so I have no tales to tell, but this post made me giggle. You've got a great writing voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! That just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post had me totally cracking up! I love the "support hose." I agree... compression socks are much more feisty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heehee! They sound less like I am 80 at least! ;)

    ReplyDelete