Sunday, December 11, 2011

GTT

Glucose Tolerance Test. I had mine does this past week, Tuesday actually (sorry, its been a busy week with our new Mom's Club and M's dad's birthday). It was horrible, not going to lie!

Source

When I had this test done while pregnant with Pumpkin, I didn't mind it at all. I thought the orange drink wasn't too bad, just like an orange soda, and then I went to the office, got poked (I am deadly afraid of needles, but the nurse was good), and that was it. Not so much this time.

The drink made me sick. It was like syrup this time. I could hardly choke it down. *GAG* And, while I was forcing myself to swallow, I started to peel off the label my Dr put on the bottle and read the bottle's original label. One of the first directions is to have the patient "remain calm"! WTF?! Do people get all out of control while drinking this stuff?! I am so bummed I didn't get a picture of it, but for some reason, M had the urge to throw it away. He doesn't throw his own crap away, so why he did this bottle, I have no idea.

Anyways, I choked down the nasty orange syrup crap, and headed to the Dr, feeling like I was going to hurl at any minute. I told the nurse what time I drank the stuff, and then had my appt with Dr K. When we were done, it was time for the dreaded blood draw (which was actually just a little over an hour since I drank the crap, which still bothers me a little).

Like I said, I am deathly afraid of needles. I told the nurse this, and she said that she would draw from my hand since she is a NICU nurse, and that it seems to be the easiest. The thought of her having to stick babies calmed me some, she must be good... Boy was I wrong!

She jammed the needle into my hand, I swear I felt the skin and vein break open. Then she drew 3 vials of blood, extremely slowly, and when she was ready to pull the needle out, she put her thumb on the needle and pushed it down, then proceeded to pull the needle out from under her finger, while still pushing on it! I almost screamed with she first stuck me, and then almost cried as she pulled the needle out. And to top it off, my hand was sore for 2 days after. It felt like she broke the needle off in my vein. It was horrible.

The good thing was that everything came back good! Even my iron levels were good, which really surprised me since I am borderline anemic as it is, and I was anemic with Pumpkin. Plus, I have been bruising really easily lately, and the bruises don't leave very fast. But, according to my blood, I'm all good! Its nice to know that I checked out good and don't have to have any extra worries right now.

Have you had your GTT? How were your results? Did your nurse totally suck at drawing your blood?!

No comments:

Post a Comment