Friday, August 1, 2014

My Last Name


Call me old fashion, but when a woman marries a man, she takes his last name. In my mind, she becomes his wife, his family. When M and I got married I was very excited to become an "S" (even though my maiden name starts with an "S" too!). We were now 1, not 2 separate people. We would have our family and we would all by unified by our last name. And when our girls grow up and get married, they will someday leave our family and join their husbands and start their own family with their new last name.

My oldest sister Dee just recently got married! WOOHOO!!!! I am so excited for her! BUT, she isn't changing her last name. I know it really isn't any of my business, but it really bugs me! I think it is right and respectful to take her husband's last name. Plus, they have a baby on the way, who will have his last name, so wouldn't she want them all to have the same?

Dee does work for a very big, very well known, internet company as a blogger. Her name on there is obviously her maiden name. I told her that professionally, with her company, she could stay an "S", but legally, she should change it to her husband's last name, "M".

What are your thoughts on last names? Should a woman change her name to her husband's when they get married, or does it not really matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment