Friday, October 11, 2013

Human Pin Cushion

My 3 hour gestational test was on Monday, and I felt like I was a human pin cushion! Over 3 hours my blood was drawn 4 times. They tried to draw from different parts of my arm, but there are only so many spots you can do!
I had to fast for at least 12 hours before the test. Luckily my test was in the morning, so fasting wasn’t too hard considering I was sleeping most of it. No coffee in the morning killed me though! I had to have a fasting blood draw, then drink the glucose crap. They had a little area to wait between each draw. It reminded me of a living room, a couple couches and a TV. Then each hour they would come and take my blood. Luckily I was able to fall asleep while I waited so the time passed quickly. After the last draw, they pricked my finger and did the little monitor test to make sure my levels were low enough to go home. They also took my blood pressure and heart rate. Everything was good, so I ate my snack and then left.
Of course no one can tell you anything. I called my dr office later that day and they said the results were in but they would have to have a nurse tell me the results. No one called until the next day, so I had to wait in horrible anticipation. But, the wait was worth it, I passed! My levels were good at all the draws. Phew!
Even though my levels were fine, I still want to watch my sugar intake. Too many horrors with high sugar and missed diabetes. But I am so glad that I can enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas with pie. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment