Friday, October 4, 2013

GTT

I failed my first glucose tolerance test. They want you in the 140’s, I was in the 160’s. I have never failed this test before! Now I have to go for the 3 hour test on Monday morning.
I am not looking forward to being poked every hour for 3 hours. I have horrible veins that roll, collapse, and burst easily. I can almost guarantee my arms and hands will be black and blue by Tuesday. I am PRAYING that I do not have gestational diabetes. I would go crazy!!! Plus, I have to be pregnant over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Tis the season to EAT!
This week/weekend I am trying to watch my sugar intake. Its been rough. I normally eat a lot candy while I am at work to keep me awake, and doing something, but I haven’t this week. Nor have I eaten the sweets at home like normal. I am doing ok with it, but I don’t want to make it a permanent thing! I am just hoping that this change for the week and weekend will help me pass the test on Monday.
Gestational diabetes is something that really scares me. My mom’s friend lost a baby full term because of undiagnosed gestational diabetes. She was scheduled for a c-section, went in and they decided to wait another day or two. Well, she went into labor before she went back, and when you go into labor, your body sends your baby an increase of sugar to give it energy to be born. The increase in sugar killed her baby.
That being said, if I do have gestational diabetes I want to know so I can take care of it. If I don’t have it, I think I will still try to watch my sugar intake since I did fail my first test regardless.
Have any of you had gestational diabetes? Or failed just the first test but passed the 3 hour test?

No comments:

Post a Comment