Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dr's

I got some pretty horrible news the other day. Well, it was pretty horrible to me anyways! Dr K is moving away. I almost cried when her receptionist told me when I called to make my first appointment. She will still see me for the next 1 1/2 months, but then she is leaving.

How can she do this?! I have been going to her for 5 1/2 yrs!!! She know my crotch better than M! And now who do I see?! Who can I call at any random time and ask if the chunky discharge is normal? Or what other OBGYN is going to prescribe me pink eye medicine over the phone without even seeing me, even though they work way further South then my eyes? I'm devastated that she will not be there to deliver BB3 (my new name for this one:) ). She knows me and my body so well. And I trust her, which is something to be said about a dr.

Well, I am going to see her for my first early OB appt, scheduled for the 21st, but then I have to find a different dr. I thought about being defiant and throwing a temper tantrum and just not seeing one, but figured that wasn't wise. So I started out on my search for drs in the area, which is pretty slim considering I don't live in a huge place.

Choice 1: OBGYN Associates. It has 4 drs, two of which are male. I know a lot of people who have gone to them and say great things, but not for me. Reason 1 being I don't want a male dr. Yea they are just as good as females, and have all the same credentials, except for a major one: THEY HAVE NEVER GONE THROUGH IT. How can they tell me what something is going to feel like, or what is perfectly normal to experience, when they have never had to do it themselves? Also, I am not super comfortable about have any male, other then M, between my legs. If you have a male dr and love it, I am happy for you, its just REALLY not for me. I also don't like that there are 3 drs. I want to get to know my dr, and them me. I want to know who will be delivering and who I am going to be seeing.

Choice 2: A whole slew of midwives that I have NEVER heard of, didn't even though the existed. I have known a lot of pregnant girls, and if I have never even heard mention of one of these people's names, I'm not wasting my time. Probably not the best way to go about it, but I want a good reference on somebody.

Choice 3: The neighboring town. This was a big contender for me. It is only about 20 minutes away, Dr K actually suggested a lady there, and I have heard WONDERFUL things about their delivery  and recovery rooms. I really thought about going this route except for the 20 minutes away thing. If you remember my birth with Miss L, 20 minutes could be the difference of delivering at the hospital or delivering in the car.

Choice 4: My only other real option that I saw was the midwives that I had heard of. My friend K and L both went to them and had nothing but great things to say. This is the option I went (or am going to go) with. They seemed super nice when I talked to the one lady on the phone. They can handle my meds, but can't do colposcopies and such, so I would have to be referred out if that ever came up again. There is only 2 of them, both women, phew! Actually I lied. There is 3 of them right now, but the one lady is leaving as soon as the other comes back from maternity leave, so there will be only 2. I reviewed their website and they may be a little more on the granola-hippish side, but that's ok with me as long as they know I like my hospitals and drugs.

I am a little excited to meet these new ladies, but still so sad about Dr K. I am going to miss her so much! She told me she does have email, so we can keep in touch, but its just not the same!!! I have never liked a dr before, or formed a friendship with one. Its going to be really hard to say goodbye, especially since I am already so emotional!

Have you ever lost a dr that you really liked? Do you have a male dr?!

2 comments:

  1. How the heck did I not know this???? BB3??? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! We haven't "announced" it yet ;) and you had to move so dang far away!!!!!!

      Delete