Thursday, December 20, 2012

Santa

I grew up believing in Santa Claus. Every year I would crawl into bed on Christmas Eve and toss and turn, straining to hear the tiniest little footstep on the roof, or the creak of the fireplace door opening. I would try so hard to keep my eyes open to hopefully catch a glimpse of red passing my bedroom door. Sleep would eventually take over me before any of these things happened, and when I would wake up (way too early!), I would see that Santa had come once again.

Source

The joy and excitement I got from the magic of Santa is something I want my kids to be able to experience. (To be completely honest, I have whispered in their infant ears that I really am Santa but will let them believe otherwise until they finally figure it out, hopefully not for many years though!) I don't see anything wrong with "lying" to my children to fuel their imagination in the this area of life, and have actually thought of ways to skirt the subject, such as "what do you think? do you believe he's real?". I have never held a grudge against my parents for "lying" to me, or questioned what other things they may have lied about. I was thankful that they let me believe and enjoy this childish thing. Childhood goes by way too fast. Children grow and mature so quickly. Why rob them of these innocent traditions? What harm does Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc cause? Especially when the real reasons we celebrate are taught and known.

Christmas is about Jesus in our family. It is about giving rather than receiving. It is not centered around Santa and his reindeer or presents. But it is a part of the holiday tradition for us. A friend on FB posted that someone told her 6 yr old daughter that Santa wasn't real. Here is one of the responses she got:


There was a real man, Saint Nicolas, who placed $, food and toys in the home of a family that needed help. His deed became known and the legend was born. Based on Saint Nicolas, we teach our kiddos that Santa was real once and lived to honor Jesus and we enjoy knowing that the memory of what he did continues in the story of Santa. They still "believe" in Santa and our oldest is 10:) santas magic is not lost here


I love that Santa "lived to honor Jesus". How he helped out families in need. Santa doesn't have to be made into something else. Someone who only brings presents to good boys and girls, but rather someone who helps others. Shows his love for others through giving. Hence the reason we buy each other gifts. 

I hope my children both believe in Santa for many years. And if your child is the one in class that doesn't believe, make sure they keep their mouth shut!

We got to eat breakfast with Santa at his workshop!

Did you believe in Santa? Will your children?

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I want to send you a code for a free ad on my blog for the contest. Shoot me an email and I'll get you the info.
    livelovelaughblog@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete