Friday, February 17, 2012

Extreme Makeover: Nursery Edition Part II

After K helped me clear out the room, I cleaned the floor and walls and then sat. I had no idea what I wanted to do in the way of theme.  I really  hate the color pink, and whenever you look at girl nursery stuff, its pink. I figured I had to suck it up, choose the lightest possible shade of pink to work with, and then pick some other colors to go along with it. I love pink and grey together, so that was an easy one. I added brown in just because it was one of the colors of a comforter I had that I was using to cover my rocker/glider. Plus, I like pink and brown together. So I had colors, pink, grey, and brown. Sounds kind of odd, but actually is pretty together!

I also knew that I wanted to incorporate butterflies. Every nursery set I looked at with butterflies though was a bright pink, and had other colors like purple, green, yellow, blue, etc. I wasn't diggin it. I decided to just piece together a butterfly nursery myself.

Our crib was actually M's crib from when he was a baby that his mom has kept all these years. When we first picked it up, we were hesitant. It was broke on one end, had turned a yellowish color from age, and had some big glue-like stains on it that I couldn't wash off. We knew we had to repaint it, but really didn't want to have to sand the whole thing and paint it by hand. So we found some spray paint at Lowe's that we could just put over the old stuff (nothing like cutting corners!). I sanded some spots, especially the stained parts, and M sprayed the crib. It made a world of difference!

The part behind is the new painted one, the front one is the old one

I then bought just a plain light pink sheet for the crib, and a brown breathable bumper. I made a mobile that I saw on Pinterest, and hung that up.

Yes, I know its the dangerous drop-down, but I actually like that!
Tutorial

I had some butterfly mirrors from my old office still, so I added them to the wall.


My mom and I went shopping for curtains, and found some really pretty light pink ones, and a white rod that has butterflies on the end! 




I painted the little desk under the window with a pearly white (which you can see in the pic above) and painted the sides brown with pink butterflies and gray "branches". I moved the the set of drawers over next to the changing table/dresser (that K gave me!) and covered it with an old white sheer curtain and pinned the corner up with a butterfly pin. 

K made gray and pink poms that were hung at my baby shower, and I hung them above the changing table in the corner. I had Pumpkin paint his feet and made a butterfly out of them to hang above the changing table, and once Peanut gets here, I will do her's also. I also got 2 small coat racks from Wal-Mart and hung them on the wall to hold all of her hats and headbands.


I had a friend of mine's sister, who is an amazing artist, paint a wall quote on canvas for me that I hung above the window. 

"Never settle for less than butterflies"

The closet was another obstacle! I was actually able to clean it out, but I only get half. The other half has our gun safe in it, so I bought a tension rod and put that up between the gun safe and the wall so that I would still have all the room. I then made little dividers to help keep the size of the clothes organized.


To make them, I just used the flaps off of a cardboard box, cut the circle for the rod about an inch into it, and covered them with some scrap-booking paper. Simple and easy and helps me stay a little more organized! 


I put my rocker/glider covered with an old down comforter and duvet cover in the corner.



That is my scrapped together butterfly themed nursery! I am really happy with it, even though there is quite a bit of pink. At least its a light pink! I can't wait to use it!

Did you buy your nursery decor or did you scrap one together like me?

1 comment: