Friday, April 4, 2014

My Mirena

I always sing My Maria by Brooks and Dunn in my head when I think about my Mirena!


I had a Mirena put in about maybe 5 weeks ago...? (I'm having a horrible time keeping track of time. I mean honestly, LL is already 3 months old!) Already, I am considering having it pulled. I actually made an appointment to have it taken out, but when I got there and talked to the NP, we decided to have it pulled and something else placed all at the same time. So as of right now, I am still sportin my Mirena.

The reason I want it pulled? I am gaining weight. And breaking out. And am having really odd and vivid dreams. Not sure if that last one is actually from the Mirena, but I am going to blame it on it anyways.

For those of you not sure what a Mirena is, it is a type of IUD birth control. It contains only progesterone, which it releases steadily into your uterus. Pregnancy is prevented by blocking the egg from coming down, blocking the sperm from going up, killing the sperm, and preventing the uterus lining to build up to prevent implantation of said blocked egg. It is shaped like a "T", sits at the top of uterus, has little strings that hang down into your va-jay-jay, and you don't feel it. Over time, you may stop having a period all together, which is a huge bonus. You can keep it in for 5 years, or have it removed at anytime you wish, be it to get pregnant again, or because you are gaining uncontrollable amounts of weight and breaking out like you are going through puberty for the first time.

Source

When I went in to have it pulled, we talked about my other options. Because I am breastfeeding the options are a little slimmer. The only other BC I would consider would be the Paragard. This too is an IUD, but it has no hormones at all, and it wrapped in copper. There used to be a bad copper one, but I guess they revamped and this is the good one. I LOVE the idea of no hormones at all. Having the last 10 lbs of baby weight to lose is hard enough without hormones acting against me. The major down side of the Paragard though? It does nothing for your periods, and can actually make them longer, heavier, and more painful. Ummm... no thanks...

I actually made an appt to have the switch done, but am thinking of canceling it now. Periods suck as it is, why would I want to make them even worse? So I'm thinking I might be stuck with my Mirena *insert song and giggle* and battle my weight gain and zitty face and chest. Ugh. There is just no winning when it comes to BC.

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Lol at my maria. Now I'll always think that when I think about mine. I got it 12 weeks after I had Mya and I HATED it for the first year. I had a lot of issues with continuous spotting, etc. Now all of that's resolved and I never even think about it being there anymore. :) Hope you balance out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll just suck it up (and in) and hopefully I will balance out too!

      Delete