Tuesday, March 25, 2014

We Got A Good Thing Going

I didn't breastfeed Pumpkin. I tried for about 6 months with L, but it was hard, and there was a lot of supplementing. LL and I have got it down though... I think :) *knock on wood that I didn't just jinx us!*

We have been EBF for 3 months now. WOOTWOOT! I would be lying if I didn't say there were times I wanted to throw in the towel though. So I thought I would give my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

First I want to say, it's ok to give formula. I say we have been EBF for 3 months, but we did give a couple bottles of formula. There were some really hard times in the beginning that I just couldn't do it. When L was in the hospital for instance, and she really needed me, but LL wanted to nurse, we had to give a bottle. In the beginning at night when I was working and didn't have a stash built up, M had to give some formula. Either way you feed your child is awesome, just as long as the little munchkin gets a belly full :)

If you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed here are some of my must haves. Every one is different so this might not pertain to you, but use what you can and ditch the rest.

1) Nipple Shield. I have pretty flat nipples. The nurses in the hospital, and the lactation consultant, told me to play with them to get the to stand out a little more prior to BF, but it didn't help. I'm sure if I would have continued to push it, we would have eventually gotten it, but the nipple shield helped, got LL to latch, and it still works. We have gotten to the point that she will nurse without it, but she doesn't stay latched as long, and honestly, I kind of like the shield more! Odd, but it helps me feel like my supply is enough. Sometimes when she falls asleep, I'll pull her off and when I see that the shield still has milk in the end of it, I feel like I know she got enough.

Medela nipple shield

2) Magic Nipple Cream. I tried Lanolin to no avail. I tried tea bags, warm packs, gel packs, everything. Nothing helped. My nipples cracked, ripped, bled, blistered, damn near fell off. Finally I told my NP that I couldn't handle the pain and she prescribed my Magic Nipple Cream (that is really what it is called, and the name is suiting). Its a compounded prescription and O. M. G. it is good. Great. Wonderful. MAGIC. Within a day or 2 my nipples were completely healed and felt amazing. If you are having issues with your nipples and the other remedies don't seem to be working, ask your dr about Magic Nipple Cream. Your life, well at least your nipples, will be saved. 

3) A good pump. I use the Medela Pump In Style. It's price is steep but my insurance covered it, and it is totally worth it. I had a less expensive, less powerful, less good pump to begin with, but after I had my biopsy I wanted something better, and this bad boy is it. I like to think of it as the Cadillac of breast pumps. Despite being big, it is quiet and efficient. I know not everyone has insurance, but all private insurances will pay for a pump (The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law in 2010. There are many parts of the ACA, but one of the most valuable is that ACA requires health plans to cover breastfeeding support and supplies. Many health plans began implementing this coverage on or after August 1, 2012.If you have a private insurance carrier or commercial insurer, this law applies to you. Currently this law does not cover Medicaid or WIC.), and a good pump is essential if you plan to pump at all. My other pump gave me sores, barely drained me, was super loud, and took forever. Save money, ask for money, steal money if you have to (not really, but just saying), and invest in a good pump.

Medela Pump In Style

4) An open mind. Cheesy, I know, but true. If you plan to BF, don't be too hard on yourself if you can't get it. It is hard, and it took me 3 kids to get it down! After 3 months, I still question if LL is getting enough. The dr who I talked to after my biopsy asked how long a planned on BF, and I told her that I had no idea. The truth is I would love to for maybe a year, but if we don't make it that long, its ok. I tried. I did the best I could. There is so much pressure to breast feed and it is so unfair. Not everyone is made the same. We don't all come with rock star breast feeding boobs and babies that latch and nurse perfectly. LL and I have a good thing going right now, but who knows what next month will hold, or next week for that matter. I'm taking each day, each nursing session, as they come. I feel like once I relaxed about being able to nurse, we got better at it. 

So there is my short but necessary list. What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment