Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lumps and Bumps

A few weeks ago a noticed a large lump on the underside of my breast. Having had mastitis 3 times before while breastfeeding Miss L, that was the first thing that popped into my head. I didn't have any flu symptoms though, so I thought maybe clogged duct. I massaged and massaged while LL nursed from the side, but it didn't go away. Fearing it would turn into mastitis I called my dr office and went in.

The NP took one look at it, said it had a fever in it, and was mastitis. She prescribed me some medication to take and off I went. I took the pills and it didn't go away, so when I went in for my 6 wk checkup I asked her about it again.

Not sure what it was, but thinking it might have turned into an abscess, she had me make an appointment to get an US on it. My appt was this last Monday. They did the US, then made me get a mammogram.

Let me just tell you, its 2014, they need to find a better way to take pictures of your boobs than that! I was hitting my face on it, got my hair stuck, had to hold my other boob out of the way. And to top it off, when she squished my boob between the plates, I started to leak milk everywhere! The lady probably thought I was a mess! If you have never had one done, be prepared for complete humiliation.

Source for the Devil machine

Anyways, after my less then graceful mammogram, the dr came to talk to me about my lump. The answer... he has none. He has no idea what it is. He said it doesn't look too dense, but its also not a cyst or abscess. He said they like to go by "text book" and when something looks like the text book that is what they call it. I don't fit in anywhere. Thanks. So to make sure it isn't anything bad, cancer, they are doing a biopsy next Tuesday on it.

I really don't feel too worried about it. I am pretty darn young to get breast cancer, not that its not possible. Plus I have an increased chance of it cuz my maternal aunt had it, and my father has had cancer. I just don't feel like it is cancer, and since it wasn't too dense, I feel ever better about it. I would like to know what it is though! And to fit in somewhere...

Have you ever had a mammogram? Did yours go better than mine?!

No comments:

Post a Comment