Monday, August 13, 2012

Tragedy

My boss died.

Last Tuesday we had a party at work. I totally spaced it until about 20 minutes after it had started, and then I just decided not to go. We were supposed to be going over to M's parents' house anyways. Everyone went except me. I feel so totally and utterly sick about not going. On Wednesday, my co-worker C called to tell me that our boss had just died.

She flew up to Alaska with her sister and BIL to celebrate their father's 85th birthday. When they got there, BIL 2, who lives in Alaska, took them floating down a river that he shouldn't have. All the locals have said how dangerous it can be and how it is one of the rivers that doesn't get checked or kept up. They say that if you do decide to go down it, you should be in a raft or something that is more forgiving. My boss, her sister and BIL were all in a canoe, BIL 2 was in a kayak.

Their canoe hit a log jam and turned sideways. They tried to paddle along the log jam to get out, but hit a faster current that overturned their canoe. Her BIL made it out and crawled on the log jam. Her and her sister got sucked under and stuck, where they drowned. BIL 2 made it on top of the log jam also.

Divers had to be brought in to retrieve the bodies from under the log jam, and then they were taken to shore by helicopter. At this time her body is still in Alaska at the medical examiners office.

She was 48 yrs old. She was married, had 3 boys, and 2 grandbabies that were her life. I am so saddened and sick about the whole thing.

I owe her so much. She called me up and gave me the opportunity to work a job that allows me to be able to spend time with my children during the day. She just gave me a raise and was going to sit down one-on-one with me and help me out with some things that I wasn't sure about.

Earlier on Wednesday, before I got the news, Papa and I were talking about how one minute you are alive, and the next you can be gone. Life is not a guarantee. Each minute that comes could be your last.

I am so thankful for my life and everyone in it. My family means the world to me, my children are my life, and  my friends are so special.

Don't take your time here for granted. Make sure you do all the things you want, and tell everyone that means something to you how you feel. You never know when your last breath will happen.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I know I'll be hugging LO a little tighter before bed tonight. Don't beat yourself up about not going to the party. You had no way of knowing this would happen...*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying not to too much, and feeling a little better about it now that I have talked about it. I hugged my family so much after I heard and I keep telling M how much he means to me (not that I didn't already!).

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is just insane and incredibly sad! Losing someone is always heartbreaking but having it happen suddenly is shocking and surreal. I am sorry about your loss! I will keep her and all those affected by this loss in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It still hasn't sunk in yet and work has been a little hectic because of it!

      Delete